12.05.2008

Top Ten Old, But New-To-Me-In-2008, Albums

So, most of these albums are ridiculously famous. Odds are, if you're reading this, you've heard at least half of them. If you haven't, you should. They've all been analyzed to death by people more qualified than I, so I wont bother to get deep on y'all. Here goes, bros.

The Kinks - The Kink Kontroversy
Although I love Arthur and Village Green... as much as the next guy, I've never really been a massive Kinks fan. I bought this album based solely on its cover, which Sleater-Kinney blatantly ripped-off on Dig Me Out, and I've never won so hard on a snap judgment (Thanks, Carrie Brownstein!). Going from early Kinks bluesy jams ("Milk Cow Blues"), to some of Ray Davies' strongest songwriting ("When I See That Girl of Mine", "Where Have All The Good Times Gone"), this album seems to be a hidden gem in the Katalog. Pick it up.


Television - Marquee Moon
Whoa. This came out of nowhere for me. I had heard it twice before, but for whatever reason it didn't catch. I got it on a whim a few months ago, and for the first two weeks couldn't get past the first three songs. I would get to the middle of the epic title track, get scared, and return immediately to "See No Evil". Eventually I braved it, and found even more gems on the other side ("Guiding Light", "Prove It"). Apparently in intial reviews they were compared to Quicksilver Messenger Service and nicknamed "The Grateful Dead of Punk", (Don't believe me, believe Wikipedia) and though that comparison makes sense, Television has a much better handle on songcraft than either band.

Proof
: "Venus"



Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
There's absolutely nothing about this album I can say that isn't expressed a million times better by Lester Bangs in his famous "Desert Island Disc" essay on Van Morrison's second solo jaunt. All I'll say to add to that is that I have found no album that rewards close listening as much as this one. Seriously, if you're not going to take the time to sit down and just listen to this, you will miss most of it.


Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
Ahhhhhh! Real Brazilians!!!

Trippy Tropicalia
Proto-everything band.
Pretty nice cape, dude.

Check it: "Panis et Circensis"

Thelonious Monk - Thelonious Alone in San Francisco
I'm a sucker for solo piano, and this album will forever serve as the jazz equivalent to the disc I have of Chopin's Nocturnes-- A spare, direct statement by an unrivaled artist of the instrument. On this album, apparently recorded live, the sounds of the crowd permeate the background--clinking glasses, bits of dialogue, and most compellingly-- someone (Monk?) tapping their foot along with the music. This was my first introduction to Monk's music, and for a while whenever I heard the fully realized versions of these songs, with all the other instruments, I got really uncomfortable, and resisted them. There was something primal and bare about these dense but addictive compositions that I could only handle in their barest form. You need this album. Trust me dudes.


Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz
A more recent addition, I picked this up from my uncle over the summer, and it served as the perfect transition from my obsession with Monk into a more full-blown Jazz fetish. Although still focused on piano, handled by Bill "Baller" Evans, he's got some serious bass and drums backing him up. A mix of standards and Evans' own compositions, this is a historic monument in jazz, one that I can't fully explain or understand, but rocks my tiny, arhythmic little world.


Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls, and Marches
The copy of this album that I have is different than the real one. I bought the Matador reissue this year after the internet flipped out about how great it was, and it's got about four extra tracks on it that do nothing but boost my love for the whole. But at the end of the day, the six tracks that were on the original are far and away the best-- take them away and this album would still be on this list, take away "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" and "Academy Fight Song" and it wouldn't have been the most addicting thing I heard this year. I will always have fond memories of mowing estate-sized lawns with this album drowning out engine noise and giving me some ill-deserved righteous anger.

Jam: "That's When I Reach For My Revolver"

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
Another overlooked 60's gem along with the Os Mutantes album, the Zombies third (and essentially final) disc dropped in 1968, and goes way beyond hit single "Time of the Season". It's stocked with super-orchestrated early British psych, and although it veers towards the schmaltz (update: schmaltz is actually rendered pig, chicken, or goose fat. Oh, Yiddish), the songwriting backbone is solid as a rock. Additionally, the breathy and suprisingly dextrous voice of Colin Blunstone carries you right through the weaker tracks, and explodes the strongest songs: "Care of Cell 44" (which has been covered to death) "Beechwood Park" and "I Want Her She Wants Me".

You Need These: "Care of Cell 44" --Eliot Smith Live Cover & "I Want Her She Wants Me"


John Cale - Paris 1919
I'm not going to bullshit you and tell you that I know anything about the career of John Cale, beyond his work in the Velvet Underground (Heard of 'em? Pretty f'in underground.) but his third solo album was the best choice I made on the internet this year. Flexing his Pop chops after years expanding the consciousness of critics everywhere, Cale proves he knows how well his tongue fits in his cheek and that he knows how to put a band to work (the backing band for this album mostly consists of members of goofy southern rock outfit Little Feat.)
Go For It: "Paris 1919"

Paul Simon - Paul Simon
Simon's self titled solo jaunt after his time with good ol' Art Garfunkel was released in 1972 and contains some of his finest songwriting. My relationship with Simon's stuff has always been a confusing one, I still can't decide if I acutally like Graceland, everytime I listen to it I come away with a different decision. This album on the otherhand is nothing but well constructed pop with lyrics whose delivery belies their delicacy and intelligence. This is not an album that I turn to for intellectual...anything, but one that I can throw on at anytime for a few solid chunes. Also, what a fuckin' coat.

If You Haven't Heard This Song I don't Know Who You Are!: "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"


So that's it. See you all next week, were I'll hopefully have the top 1o-15 albums of 2008.

--Dave


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 things:

You wrote on my day.

I told you to get into Marquee Moon at the end of last year and played it. I'm just a whim?

Anonymous said...

If you dig Thelonious Alone, you have to hear his earlier solo one, Himself. Glorious, glorious version(s!) of "'Round Midnight."

Anonymous said...

Yo dave. I was coincidentally listening to this album (paul simon) as i read this. I definitely agree with it as his potential best, though I'm surprised you waver in your thoughts on graceland. I always thought of that as a universally well liked album. It was my favorite of his for a while. Glad to see the self titled made it into the top 10 though.

-Fielder

p.s. I met the friend that you meant to visit when you were here. She seemed cool and mentioned you.

Anonymous said...

dear dave,

I also played Marquee Moon for you on the car ride home from fall break. I am officially taking credit for you being into TV.

Just kidding. Love,
Wallace

SmokedMeat said...

Ned and Wallace- Yeah, I owe you both credit, it was you that got me into 'em, but I wasn't lying when I said it didn't click, it just sparked interest.

Fielder- Yeah, my thing with Graceland is just that I always heard so many amazing things about it, and the first time I listened to it I liked it a lot, but it never grew on me. It just stayed really good and never really clicked fully. So now every time I listen to it I know what to expect and it is sometimes a little boring. But it's still very solid.

Anon- I've heard a few songs from Himself and really dug 'em. I'll make sure to pick up asap.

SmokedMeat said...

Sparked interest? Then it wasn't on a whim, Wallace and I embedded Richard Lloyd's intoxicating guitar riffs and Tom Verlane's falsetto vocals in the back of your dome, where it lay dormant until you realized just how incomplete your life was.
we win

Anonymous said...

D-
I am so proud of you and your "Me & Julio" pick. I think me and Stan rock out to it at least three times a week on the way in to school.
xoxo
E