1.07.2009

TOP TEN OUTKAST SONGS

I've been listening to OutKast an outrageous amount recently, and I continue to be surprised by their breathtaking intelligence and skill. From Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik to their most recent song with Raekwon, they have a stunning amount of truly transcendent material, and even at their worst are better than most of the shit coming out of the South or any other area today. So in honor of my newly heightened amount of respect for the group, I'm throwing up a list of their ten best songs, as far as I'm concerned.

1. ATLiens - ATLiens

The best song from their first great album
, with Big Boi backing up his boasts of greatness with his most skilled verses yet, and 'Dre lays out what will be his M.O. for the rest of his career in one of my all time favorite verses.

"Softly as if I played piano in the dark
Found a way to channel my anger not to embark
The world's a stage and everybody's got to play their part
God works in mysterious ways so when he starts
the job of speakin through us we be so sincere with this here
No drugs or alcohol so I can get the signal clear as day
Put my glock away I got a stronger weapon
that never runs out of ammunition so I'm ready for war okay"
-Andre 3000

2. Return of the "G" - Aquemini

A scathing critique of gangster culture from rap's most astute critics, matched with a skulky, brooding beat held down by a thumping drum loop and a surreal, hazy chorus. Also, attached to one of their funniest skits.

"Return of the gangsta thanks ta'
them niggas who got them kids
who got enough to buy an ounce
but not enough to bounce them kids to the zoo
or to the park so they grow up in the dark never
seein' light so they end up being like yo' sorry ass
robbin' niggas in broad ass daylight get down"
-Andre 3000
3. Rosa Parks - Aquemini

One of their catchiest songs ever, this was the song I could put on at parties in high school that was guaranteed to provoke a positive reaction amongst all my friends, which is not to say it's not up to lyrical par--Big Boi's verse is one of his best. Also, it has the best use of a harmonica solo I've ever heard (Sorry Blues Traveler). (Note: To people who download this song, the skit at the end is really the intro to Skew it on the Bar-B, featuring Raekown)

"Many a day has passed, the night has gone by
But still I find the time to put that bump off in your eye
Total chaos, for these playas, thought we was absent
We takin another route to represent the Dungeon Family
Like Great Day, me and my nigga decide to take the back way
We stabbing every city then we headed to that bat cave
A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya
Bull doggin hoes like them Georgetown Hoyas
Boy you sounding silly, thank my Brougham aint sittin pretty
Doing doughnuts round you suckas like then circles around titties
Damn we the committee gone burn it down
But us gone bust you in the mouth with the chorus now"
-Big Boi

4. Humble Mumble - Stankonia

All that really need to be said here is that I still get chills. Every single time the song hits 1:35, the new drum loop kicks in and Three Stacks drops an absolutely jaw-dropping verse that I can't even begin to do credit in describing it. This would be far and away my number one if the last two minutes weren't some girl screaming. Stupid hip-hop divas.

"Too Democratic, Republic fuck it
We chicken nugget, we dip in the sauce like mop and bucket
Blue-collar scholars, who'll take your dollar and wipe my ass wit it
You livin for the lotto never hit it
I met a critic, I made her shit her drawers
She said she thought hip-hop was only guns and alcohol
I said "Oh hell naw!" But yet it's that too
You can't discrimi-hate cause you done read a book or two
What if I looked at you in a microscope, saw all the dirty organisms
living in your closet would I stop and would I pause it? Whoo!
To put that bitch in slower motion, got the potion and the antidote
And a quote for collision the decision.. is,
do you want to live or wanna exist?
The game changes everyday so obsolete is the fist and marches
Speeches only reaches those who already know about it
This is how we go about it"
-Andre 3000

5. Gasoline Dreams - Stankonia

Oh man, to have been a hip-hop fan when this song first hit the world. An furious, guitar driven, banger that comes out of the starting gate with an ass-kicking agenda and the most brutal chorus OutKast has ever unleashed.

"Don't everybody like the smell of gasoline?
Well burn motherfucka burn American Dreams
Don't everybody like the taste of apple pie?
We'll snap for your slice of life I'm tellin' ya why
I hear that mother nature's now on birth control
The coldest pimp be looking for somebody to hold
The highway up to Heaven got a crook on the toll
Youth full of fire ain't got nowhere to go nowhere to go"
(Chorus)

6. Player's Ball - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
7. Wheelz of Steel - ATLiens
8. B.O.B. - Stankonia
9. Art of Storytelling (pt. 4) - Gangsta Grillz: The Album
10. So Fresh, So Clean - Stankonia

It's been a long time since we had some new material from these dudes to pore over, and I personally can't wait till their rumored solo albums drop. Big Boi's supposedly comes out in February, and no news on 'Dres. It's also rumored that once their two solo discs drop, they'll head back into the studio as a team. Finally! Let's hope it's true.

--D

No comments: