11.06.2008

Hi Guys, It's Wednesday (No Addams Family)

Hey Y'all. Welcome to Wednesday. I hope you spent enough of your day in bed to have recovered from last night. I'm Wednesday guy (my name is dave) for Le Smoked Meat Blog. As an introduction to my taste and to give you an idea of what I'll be posting, I'm gonna do a list. Shut up, you know you love lists.

The list I chose was my favorite albums since the year of my birth, 1989. This is obviously in retrospect, but I must admit that I was tempted to use the albums that were my favorite in the actual year when they were released, which would have led to the most confusing use of a music blog in quite a while (Unless more people than I'm aware of are repping Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, and Savage Garden on the internets). Anyway, the list.

1989: The Beastie Boys-Paul's Boutique
1990: Pixies-Bossanova
1991: A Tribe Called Quest-Low End Theory
1992: Pavement-Slanted and Enchanted
1993: Wu-Tang-Enter the 36 Chambers
1994: Nas-Illmatic
1995: GZA/Genius-Liquid Swords
1996: DJ Shadow-Endtroducing
1997: Yo La Tengo-I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
1998: Air-Moon Safari
1999: Sigur Ros-Ágætis byrjun
2000: Tie: Modest Mouse-The Moon and Antarctica/Radiohead-Kid A
2001: Jay-Z-The Blueprint
2002: Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
2003: The Shins-Chutes Too Narrow
2004: Madvillain-Madvillainy
2005: Wolf Parade-Apologies to the Queen Mary
2006: Grizzly Bear-Yellow House
2007: Sunset Rubdown-Random Spirit Lover

A few thoughts:
1.) Despite all evidence to the contrary, I am NOT a schizophrenic who is half Thrift Store and half Wu-Wear. Promise, Y'all. H8 Stereotypes.
2.) Choosing between Illmatic and Ready to Die was the hardest thing I've done since halloween, when I sprinted a quarter mile wearing a High School Musical dress and carrying a mini-backpack full of beer.
3.)Choices that surprised me were Moon Safari and Chutes Too Narrow, both of which I think I've already tired of a lot, but have stuck around purely based on how much I loved them in high school.
4.)I left the tie between Moon and Antarctica and Kid A even though I think it's a major cop-out, because those albums actually have the exact same place in my heart (the epic part).
5.) As of right now, there's a three way tie for my favorite album of this year: Wolf Parade/TV on the Radio/Department of Eagles. And if they put the two new Grizzly Bear songs on a piece of plastic, that would win by a lot.

So. That's it for me today. See you next week, when I'll actually talk about stuff that's interesting.

--Dave


P.S. Because I can't leave you without some shit to download:
Grizzly Bear- While You Wait For The Others
Grizzly Bear- Two Weeks

No comments: